The world’s largest dam – level 1
Baihetan is the world’s largest hydropower plant. A hydropower plant uses water to make electricity. The dam opens last week. It is 289 meters high.
The dam is on the Yangtze River in China. More dams are on this river. They make a lot of electricity for eastern and central China. Many people and factories are there. They need lots of electricity.
Baihetan can make 150 kilowatt-hours of electricity with one rotation. It is enough for one family for a month.
China wants to control the river during summer months. It rains a lot in summer. China makes a lot of emissions, too. Hydropower plants make electricity without emissions.
Difficult words: dam (a structure which holds back water on a river), rotation (when something moves around a center), control (to make something do something), emission (a dangerous gas which factories and people make, and it makes the air dirty).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.