Ukraine prepares for winter – level 3
After eight months of war, Ukrainian villagers who live near the fighting are preparing for winter with no gas or electricity.
Huliaipole is a village located in the Zaporizhia region that Russia annexed. Russian shells hit the village, hammered infrastructure, and left the village without electricity. A 60-year-old local woman now lives in a basement with some of her neighbors, and she says that although the place is cramped, it’s helped them survive.
Ukrainians fear the cold and snow, because temperatures in the area often fall far below freezing. The war aid workers have provided wood stoves and fresh water. Villagers have gas; however, they must save it.
Ukraine’s president has warned that more than 4.5 million people are already without power. Energy providers have implemented rolling blackouts to prevent overloads, while they race to complete essential repairs. Workers repair under shelling, so they try to work as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Difficult words: hammer (to strike something violently), cramped (uncomfortably small or crowded), rolling blackout (a series of intentional blackouts that prevent electricity from going out everywhere).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.