Venice’s flood safety – level 2
In 1984, engineers started a project to keep Venice safe from floods.
The project is called the Mose, and it consists of 78 gates. They rise from the sea when the tide gets high. People took almost 40 years to build the dam because of many delays. A former mayor of Venice ended up in court for corruption with this project.
Over the years, floods hit the Italian city many times, and the famous Piazza San Marco was regularly underwater. The Mose started working in October 2020. Recently, it saved the city from very high tide which was 135 centimeters above usual levels.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.