Very small apples – level 2
Yakutsk is a city in Siberia, Russia, which is located about 450 kilometers south of the Arctic Circle. This place is the coldest place on Earth, and temperatures in winter can drop to -60 degrees Celsius.
Yakutsk lies on permafrost, which is a soil which is frozen all year round. Plants in this area had to adapt to subzero temperatures, and so they decreased their size. Most plants grow close together, and they are only a few centimeters tall.
Nikofor Ivanov grows apples which can live in the cold, and they are as big as pearls. The apples are crunchy, and they taste like normal apples.
Ivanov tried to pick the apples and make jam from them. It was too difficult, and it took too much time. He never picked all the apples, so he just took a handful and ate them. He gave some apples as a gift to his friends, and birds ate the soft fruit, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.