Village in Israel and Palestine – level 3
In Israel’s West Bank, Israelis are tearing down part of a Palestinian village because they say that people built it too close to a security barrier near East Jerusalem. However, the Oslo Accords say that Palestine controls the village’s neighbourhood.
Israeli leaders say that the buildings were built illegally, no one was currently living in them, and terrorists could hide in them. Therefore, they were a security threat. Critics said that Israel wants to take the land under the village.
Palestine already filed a war crime claim against Israel on the destruction of the village. Palestinians say that the issue is ‘a serious escalation’ against the Palestinian people and they are asking for help. In the past, the UN had told Israel to stop this action.
Difficult words: security barrier (a wall or other structure to keep a place safe), accord (an agreement), escalation (an increase in something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos