Woman paints on her body – level 3
Hikaru Cho, a Chinese national living in Japan made some surreal stop-motion films, and their inspiration came from a strange place.
She said that she was at home and wanted to paint something, but did not know what to paint on. Then she thought to paint an eye onto her hand. She felt that it looked freaky, so she took a picture of it and found that it shocked others more than she expected.
She added that people tend to judge people based on appearances, and she thinks that it is stupid. She wants her to work to show that all is not what it seems on the surface.
Hikaru’s social conscience is clear, and both Amnesty International and lucrative advertising deals are interested in her work.
Difficult words: national (a citizen of a particular country), surreal (strange, difficult to understand, and like from a dream), stop-motion film (a film made by taking a lot of still pictures and then playing them fast), freaky (shocking), tend (to be inclined to do something), conscience (a person’s moral sense of right and wrong), lucrative (money-producing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What has been the biggest challenge Hikaru Cho faced in her career as an artist?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.