A car drives into the Niagara River – level 3
People retriever a woman’s body from a car that was close to the edge of the Niagara Falls on the US-Canada border.
The car was almost completely submerged with only a part of the roof and open trunk visible through the rapidly flowing water. Police used a drone to determine that it was occupied. In a dramatic rescue attempt on Wednesday, a US coast guard diver braved the frigid water where the car became submerged. The rescue was also dangerous from the icy wind coming off the falls. A helicopter lowered the diver who climbed into the car; however, it was too late to rescue the driver trapped inside.
According to police, the driver was a woman in her late 60s who lived in the area, and she likely drove into the Niagara River on purpose. It was unclear how exactly the car was in the river; however, witnesses reported seeing it floating near a bridge.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.