A whale in a river – level 2
Northwest of Paris, France, A beluga whale managed to swim 100 kilometers inland and then became trapped in the Seine River. The animal spent a week in the river, and it didn’t eat, so it became very thin and weak.
A team of 8 rescuers lifted the animal out of the river with a crane. The animal was four meters long, and it weighed 800 kilograms. Rescuers never did this rescue before.
They put the beluga on a truck to transport it to the Normandy Coast. On the way, the animal sadly had more health problems, and it was in pain. Veterinarians decided to end its life because the animal was too sick to return to the sea.
Belugas are very social, and they live in groups of hundreds of whales. They prefer cold Arctic waters, and they rarely swim in other places.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.