Birds Fly Like a Cloud – level 3
People released incredible footage showing thousands of starlings flying together in a murmuration in southern Israel. The huge flock of starlings formed beautiful, dark clouds moving in the sky.
A murmuration occurs when starlings fly in synchronicity, creating what seems to the eye to be a black cloud which randomly changes direction and form. Experts say that the synchronised movement is aimed at helping the birds find food and to create a defence mechanism against birds of prey, which usually try to hunt the individual birds and rarely attack large flocks.
Huge flocks of synchronised starlings like this are beginning to return to Israel for the first time after 20 years. Today, hundreds of thousands of the birds inhabit Israel, compared to millions in the past.
Difficult words: starling (a small bird from Europe), murmuration (a flock of starlings), synchronicity (when things happen at the same time), random (when things happen without a plan), synchronised (when things happen at the same time and with the same movements), defence mechanism (a way to defend yourself), flock (a large group of animals), inhabit (live somewhere).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What would you think if you saw this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos