Blood Moon 2018 – level 3
Last Friday on July 27th, people all over the world (except for those in North America) watched the Moon turn blood red for almost two hours.
The Blood Moon lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes directly behind Earth into its shadow. The position of the Sun, Earth and Moon is such that no direct sunlight reaches the lunar surface.
At this moment, however, the Earth’s atmosphere is bending the red wavelengths of light around itself, and the red light is cast onto the surface of the Moon – that is why it looks red.
The Blood Moon was not visible from North America this time – those who missed it will have to wait until January 21st, 2019.
Difficult words: lunar (of the moon), eclipse (an event when a moon or a planet is hidden by another planet or moon), reach (get to), bend (curve, go left or right), red wavelength (the kind of light which is red), cast (send).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.