Egypt Discovery – level 1
Archaeologists in Egypt find more than 80 coffins. They find the coffins in Saqqara. Saqqara is a place 30 kilometers away from the capital city of Cairo. Many coffins are in Saqqara. The famous Pyramid of Djoser is there, too.
Archaeologists find some sarcophagi. A sarcophagus is a stone case. Inside it is a dead body. People in ancient Egypt put bodies of somebody important in sarcophagi. Archaeologists find some wooden statues, too. They are 2,500 years old.
The political situation in Egypt changes in 2011. Many people are afraid to travel to Egypt. It is important to bring tourists back. New discoveries can help tourism.
Difficult words: archaeologist (a person who finds old things), coffin (a wooden case where people put a dead body), sarcophagi (more than one stone case), ancient (something very old), discovery (what people find).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.