Franz Beckenbauer dies – level 1
Franz Beckenbauer is a famous soccer player from Germany. He dies. He is 78 years old.
He is a great player, coach, and leader in soccer for over 50 years. People know Beckenbauer for playing well and winning many awards. He is famous in the 1960s and 1970s. He helps his teams win important competitions, like the European Championship and the World Cup. People in Germany often call him the ‘Kaiser’, which means Emperor. This is because he makes generations of Germans excited about football.
After his death, leaders and fans, speak about the man. He is a football legend in Germany,
Difficult words: competition (an event in which people or teams take part and they want to be better than the others), Emperor (the male leader of a country), legend (a very famous person who many people know).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact did Beckenbauer have on the sport of soccer in Germany and how is he remembered by leaders and fans after his passing?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.