French city wants Madonna’s painting – level 1
The mayor of Amiens, France, makes a video. In the video, she speaks to the singer Madonna.
In the 19th century, Jérome-Martin Langlois makes a painting. The painting is called Diana and Endymion. It is in the Louvre Museum in Paris. The Louvre lends it to Amiens before World War I. Then the painting gets lost during the war. Nobody knows where it is. Recently, Madonna buys the painting.
Amiens wants to be the European capital of culture in 2028. The mayor wishes to borrow the painting from Madonna. The mayor says that local people could enjoy the painting. It is the city’s painting in the past.
Difficult words: mayor (the leader of a town or city), recently (not long ago), borrow (to take something that belongs to somebody else and give it back later).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos