People Get to the Deepest Point on Earth – level 3
China’s deep-sea manned submarine ’Striver’ has reached a new world record depth.
The submarine reached the coveted depth of 10,000 meters on its way to the ocean’s deepest point, Challenger Deep, at 10,971 meters which is at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. The three oceanauts on board continued the dive until they reached the bottom of the trench in the Pacific Ocean.
The submersible is equipped with high-beam lights and robotic arms that will gather samples and scour the ocean floor. Its live-stream cameras are capable of streaming footage of the dark depths back to the surface. Its green color was chosen in order to ensure that it was visible at depths that light could not reach.
Difficult words: coveted (desired), oceanaut (someone who works underwater for scientific reasons), submersible (a ship that operates under water), scour (to search thoroughly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos