Storm Ana – level 3
Tropical storm Ana has brought huge floods to Malawi, and it displaced nearly 200,000 people. It also killed dozens of people in Madagascar and Mozambique.
According to reports, at least 19 people died in Malawi, and hundreds were hurt after more than a week of heavy rain. Huge rains stopped efforts to transport food to the affected areas, and they cut off Malawi’s main highway.
In Madagascar, 48 people died, and 130,000 people were forced to leave their homes to makeshift shelters. Mozambique’s Prime Minister said that the challenge was bigger than the country’s ability, and he pointed to the increasing frequency and strength of extreme weather events.
Meanwhile, weather services in the area warned of Storm Batsirai that is building in the Indian Ocean, and it may materialize in the coming days.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.