Young Kangaroos in Trouble – level 2
In the Canberra region in Australia, there are more orphaned joeys because of long, dry weather.
One organisation said that it had 378 kangaroos come into care in the last financial year. Two years ago, it only had 270 kangaroos. The orphans need special milk to keep them alive in the first 18 months of life. Rehabilitating and raising one single joey costs 500 Australian Dollars (around 350 USD). The charity needs to raise around $40,000 to be able to deal with more of the joeys.
Difficult words: orphaned (alone, without parents or another animal or person to help or to take care), joey (a young kangaroo), deal with (be able to care for something, work on a problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos