British Pompeii – level 3
People found a 3000-year-old ancient wooden wheel from the Bronze Age, the most complete to have ever been found in Britain.
They recently uncovered it in England. It is one metre in diameter and so well-preserved that it still contains part of the axle.
One archaeologist working at the site said that uncovering the things they are finding is something that no one normally dreams of. The unique place offers a time capsule into the lives of the British prehistoric ancestors as the Bronze Age came to an end.
Another expert said that it was literally like stepping into somebody’s life or somebody’s home. The previous month, they discovered food remains in intact bowls. The food in the bowls was a meal that people were eating at the time that a fire destroyed the settlement 3,000 years ago.
The team working there calls this site a British version of the Roman town of Pompeii because river silts have preserved it so well.
Difficult words: axle (a rod in the middle of the wheel), ancestor (a person who lived a long time ago before you), intact (not damaged), settlement (a village), silt (the sand and the mud carried by water).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about the history at the British Pompeii?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.