Journalist Has Problems – level 2
Maria Ressa is a Filipino American journalist, who grew up and studied in the US. In 2018, the Times named her Person of the Year for her work in journalism.
Ressa founded a news site, where she openly criticized the Philippine’s president, Rodrigo Duterte. In 2012, Ressa and her colleague wrote an article about a rich businessman, and they linked him to murder and drug dealing. This week, a court in Manila, the capital city of the Philippines, found Ressa guilty of libel, and it sent her to prison for 6 years. However, the court used a law that did not exist in 2012.
Human rights organizations do not agree with the verdict, and they say that the verdict attacks the free press.
Difficult words: drug dealing (when people do business to sell or buy drugs), libel (when someone writes or says something about somebody else that is not true, and it can change what people think about this person), verdict (what a court decides), free press (when journalists and reporters can freely write or say what they think, and they can criticize the government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.