These spiders eat fish – level 3
Spiders that can catch and eat fish! Scientists have discovered a number of spider species that do just that!
More than 80 incidences of fish-eating semiaquatic spiders have been observed at the fringes of shallow freshwater streams, rivers, lakes and ponds.
Some are capable of swimming and, believe it or not, walking on the water’s surface.
Water spiders have been observed eating fish, as they generally have powerful neurotoxins and enzymes enabling them to kill and digest fish that are bigger and heavier than them.
The phenomenon appears to be more common in warmer areas, with fish captured by spiders usually ranging from two to six centimetres in length.
The fish is then dragged to a dry place before the feeding process can begin. Eating can last for several hours. Most incidents have been documented in North America, especially in the wetlands of Florida.
Difficult words: species (animal kind), incidence (example), semiaquatic (living partly on land and partly in water), fringe (outer area), neurotoxin (poison which acts on the nervous system), enzyme (substance which helps with digestion), digest (to process food in your body), phenomenon (something that exists in nature and is studied), wetland (swamp area).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.