If you are a teacher, you can use English news and English stories in your classes. Students can practise their reading and listening skills. You can prepare different reading activities for your students. We prepared for you some tips on what you can do with the news, so that your students would get the full benefit of each English story.
Working with three levels
1. Let students start working with Level 1, so they can understand news well. Students read the English text and then play the recording.
2. Move on to Level 2. It is not too hard for students because now they know everything about the story, so they can deduce most of the new words too.
3. Move on to Level 3 and that is too difficult for the students but because they have been through level 1 and 2 they find that they can more or less cope with it and know what the text is saying. This way they even deduce quite a lot of new words.
4. Now, students should practice telling the story in a simple way.
1. Let students work in pairs. Give both of them a copy of the English story at their level.
2. Students read the English text. The first student reads one sentence and translates it into their own language. The other student reads the second sentence and also translates it into their own language. They keep changing after one sentence and continue this way until they read the whole text.
3. The first student reads the first paragraph without translating it. The other student reads the second paragraph. Once again they change after one paragraph until they finish reading.
4. They do the same but they read the paragraphs their partners read.
5. One student reads the whole English story and their partner only listens without reading it. Then the other student does the same. They practise their English listening skills.
6. Play the video or audio the next lesson as many times as necessary until all your students understand.
You can follow these instructions for any news. Have fun!
Practise your English in the discussion