Chaos during a bullfight – level 3
At least 10 people have been injured after a bullfight broke out into chaos in rural Peru.
The annual bullfight in a small village descended into mayhem when the ring assistant, who was apparently drunk, untied a rope used to protect participants from the bull.
While the crowds tried to move away, the raging bull rammed into local residents, sending them flying in the air and hurling them towards the ground.
One young boy jumped on top of a car to avoid the bull’s path.
According to local media, a number of people were drunk to celebrate the bullfight which marked the end of a cultural festival which dates back to the 17th century.
The man responsible for releasing the bull was later grabbed by members of the crowd and publicly lashed as punishment.
Difficult words: rural (countryside), annual (happening every year), descend (change), mayhem (chaos), ram (crash), hurl (throw), grab (take something), lash (hit with a whip).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.