Fans and police – level 1
There is a basketball game in Arizona, USA. The home team loses. A team from Wisconsin beats the home team.
The fans of the home team go to the streets. Police say that they throw bottles at policemen. Someone films the incident. The film shows a student. Police shoot smoke bombs at him. Then the police fight him. The student falls on the ground.
Police arrest fifteen people. Five people are a little bit hurt.
Difficult words: beat (be better than somebody in a game), incident (situation), arrest (take to a police station).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever protested?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos