Love Locks in Paris – Level 2
People put locks on an 18th century Parisian bridge. They did this to profess their love. However, there were so many locks that they were too heavy for the bridge. Even though visitors liked the locks, Paris leaders had to save the bridge. They took the panels with the locks off the bridge.
Some visitors were not happy about this because they didn’t want the locks to be thrown away. Others wanted to add more locks. However, there are still ten other bridges in Paris where people can continue this tradition.
Difficult words: profess (to tell many people), panel (a piece of a structure), tradition (when people do something again and again).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What should happen to the locks?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.